Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Week 9, Thing # 22 - Downloadable Audiobooks

I haved used our downloadable audiobook service several times since it was introduced. BCPL currently has two downloadable services, Overdrive and Net Library. There are pros and cons of each. Most of the audiobooks offered through Overdrive can be burned to a CD but they don't have a huge selection to choose from. Everytime I have used Overdrive I had to place a hold on the audiobook that I wanted and I would get an email when the book is available for download.

NetLibrary has a bigger selection of audiobooks but they can't be burned to a CD. Having the book on CD is a big plus for me because I don't want to be attached to my computer to listen to the audiobook. I have a mp3 player but the storage size is about average. Most of the books I have downloaded would fill up my mp3 player. I guess that's why I prefer to have my books on CD. I know BCPL is discontinuing the Netlibrary service soon and maybe the library's customers feel the same way I do in regards to downloadable audiobooks. If you have not tried downloading an audiobook, give it a wirl. You never know it may be exactly what you are looking for!

No comments: